Article in Progress in Oceanography:
Seasonal dynamics in the Azores-Gibraltar Strait region: a climatologically-based study
L.I. Carracedo, M. Gilcoto, H. Mercier, F.F. Pérez
• We describe full circulation patterns in the Azores-Gibraltar Strait Region (North-Eastern Atlantic) by means of climatological data.
• We use an inverse box model for obtaining absolute transports consistent with volume, salt, heat conservation and thermal wind equations.
• We solve the main source water masses fractions by means of an extended Optimum Multiparameter Analysis.
• Circulation seasonality is described and main currents quantified.
• We estimate indirectly the entrainment of central waters that leads to an overturning circulation into the enclosed box.